This enrolment idea was adapted from http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/program/ceremonies/guide_ceremonies/brownies/brownie_ceremonies.htm.
Get a large appliance box, and decorate it to look like a stove/oven. Cut out an open/closable door. You'll also need mixing bowls, spoons, measuring cups, flour sifter, timer with bell, and typed scripts for the girls to follow. Also have a table for the girls to stand behind while cooking.
We adapted the script to work for eight second year girls.
- Since our Brownie friends swam up to Guides last spring at our "under the sea" advancement ceremony we have missed spaces in our Brownie Ring.
- Yes, what can we do about it?
- I know! Let's make some new Brownies!
- We can look in our handbook for the recipe.
- Here it is! To make Brownies we must mix 3 basic ingredients: Promise, Law, and 10 keys of interest.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of a promise to be true to ourselves, our beliefs and Canada with 1 cup of action for a better world.
- To this mixture, add two cups of honesty and 4 tablespoons of kindness.
- Mix together until well-blended.
- Stir in one cup thoughtfulness.
- Beat together 1/2 cup fairness and 1/2 cup helpfulness and add to the mixture.
- Sprinkle over the mixture 2 tablespoons of sisterhood of Guiding and mix well.
- Add one cup of respect for authority and one cup of respect for myself and others. Stir until well blended.
- Sift together 1/2 cup of a wise use of resources and 6 tablespoons of a promise to protect and improve the world. Stir into mixture.
- Blend together 1/2 cup of each of the following keys: Brownies, Me, My Community, I Can, Active Living, STEM, the Living World, Camping, the Arts and Girl Guides.
- In a prepared pan, spread the batter evenly. (Quickly put pan in oven)
- Bake at a moderate temperature until done. (ring bell) They're done! (open door - girls start to crawl out of oven)
All: Look! A NEW BATCH OF BROWNIES!
All of the girls stand together in a circle.
Guider: Are all of you girls ready to become Brownies?
Guider: Have you learned your Brownie promise and are you ready to make that promise?
Guider: Please say the promise together, while making the Brownie sign (with your right hand)
Girls: (say the promise)
Guider: you may all now be seated.
Ask the 2nd year girls to bring up the 1st year girls from their circle (one at a time).
Guider (with each individual girl): Twist me and turn me and show me an elf, I look in the water and there see...
Guider: Congratulations! You are now officially a Brownie. (pin on enrolment pin and hand out badges)
After everyone receives their pins and badges, thank the families for coming to our enrolment celebration and invite them to enjoy some refreshments.