This meeting plan was shared with me by another Guider.
6:00 - 6:05 pm
- Circle songs (attendance/dues)
- Brownie opening song
- Brownie Promise
6:05 – 6:15 pm
- Where do we get our water and how can we all keep it clean and safe?
- Ground Water Pollution Experiment
- Supplies: water, celery stalks with leaves, food coloring
- When you do this experiment, place the emphasis on the concept of groundwater and the effects of pollution. Pretend the food coloring is pollution – add to water. Watch it swirl and take over the water. Put the celery in the glass. Pretend that it is a little plant, a tree or even a person who drinks water from the ground. After a few hours, check the celery. Cut it and you will be able to see how the “polluted” water has moved up the stalk. What we do to our water we do to ourselves.
- A. Conserve water at home by turning a tap on only when you need it, instead of running it the whole time you brush your teeth, wash dishes or do other household chores.
- B. Explore how people live in the desert, where there’s little water.
- E. Find out how a wetland, conservation area or body of water helps provide water for your community.
6:15 – 6:30 pm
- F. Describe a body of water near where you live.
- Mention the plants and animals that live near it.
- Make a mural of your body of water.
- C. Paint a picture about water or make a mural.
- Split into circles and make a mural of Okanagan Lake including native plants and animals.
6:30 – 6:35 pm
- Droplet and the Water Cycle story (note: this story was not provided, but here is a link to a reader's theatre water cycle story)
6:35 – 6:45 pm
6:45 – 6:50 pm
- D. Learn or make up a song about water. Sing it with your unit.
- Water cycle Song x 2 *see song sheet
6:50 – 7:05 pm
- Game: Water Cycle Relay (outside game)
7:05 – 7:25 pm
7:25 – 7:30 pm
- Brownie closing song
- Toad stool
- Cell phone
- Dues bag
- Brownie binder
- Badge bag
- Attendance clipboard
- Chair signs & pins
- Meeting plan
- Dues record
- “I Can Save Water” work sheet
- Paper x 3
- ‘Droplet and Water Cycle’ story
- Bracelet kits
- Water cycle song sheets
- Buckets x 2
- Cups x 4
- ‘Explore Water with Holly Heron’ booklets
- Scissors x 3
- ‘Water, Water Everywhere’ interest badge worksheet
- Glasses x 2
- Celery stalks with leaves x 2
- Food coloring
- Knife cutting board