note: we brought in another Guider to lead this meeting - she had taken the Girls United training
Gathering Activity (in their circles)
- Attendance and dues
- Fill in sheets with titles "What does being a friend look like" and "What does bullying look like"
- Circle Songs
- Brownie Song
- Review the responses to the friends/bullying sheets completed during opening
- Talk about a Friendship Bill of Rights and show some posters made with other girls
- Have the girls in your unit discuss what their rights and responsibilities are to themselves and to each other. What do you want or need in a friendship? What are your rights and responsibilities? What would make you end a friendship? When would you go to an adult for help?
- Show a life-sized model of a girl (made using a roll of paper, the Guider had traced her daughter and cut it out, then they had decorated it).
- Have a girl say something mean to the paper girl. When she say something mean, rip off a piece of the girl (i.e. her arm or leg).
- Let a couple more girls say something mean, and rip off more pieces of the girls.
- Stop the group. Ask them to notice what is happening - because one or two girls said something mean, now EVERYONE wants to say something mean. This is the group mentality taking over.
- Talk about how there are 3 parties involved in bullying - the one being bullied, the one doing the bullying, and the one watching... even if you are the one watching, you can do something to STOP it.
- Now put the girl back together. Ask someone to come and apologize to the girl. With each apology, use a bandaid to re-attach the ripped off pieces.
- Show how even though she has been "repaired" she is never the same as she was before.
- Discuss how these mean words have hurt her so badly that she carries them with her now, even though she has been apologized to, she is never the same again.
- Play a trust game. All girls stand in a line, one behind the other. One at a time, starting with the girl at the front of the line, each girl falls back and is caught by the girl behind her. The Guider stands at the back to catch the whole line as they fall back.
- Note: we did this by circle so there were no more than 6 girls in a line.
- Make a card for someone you know (not at Brownies) but is not yet your friend. Someone who you would like to be friends with.
- The girls are to give the card they made to the person who they would like to be friends with.
- Sing Now Run Along Home – song tune at http://www.dltk-bible.com/now_run_along_home.htm
- Sing the Brownie Closing Song